Is your child a budding Greta Thunberg? Read this

Where the River runs Gold by Sita Brahmachari is a fantastic read... the first chapter didn't grab me but, oh my goodness, the second did.

Humans have destroyed the natural world and climate disasters have done the rest, leaving food shortages and searing temperatures  Society is fragmented, with the fortunate few living a disposable lifestyle and the remainder working to indulge them...

Does this sound familiar?

Shifa, the heroine, and her brother Themba are sent to a 'pollination camp' where children slave in polytunnels, replacing extinct bees (if you think this could never happen, read this:  The vanishing bee explained.

Relationships, bullying and loss are all examined as the action moves at breakneck speed. An uplifting and challenging book.

If your child:

Wants to be challenged
Was a fan of Louis Sacher's 'Holes'
Enjoys dystopian fiction
Cares about climate change

I highly recommend this book to them.

Buy it at an independent bookseller if you can still find one... they are a precious resource.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My friend says that the ISEB Pretest pass mark is ... " and other myths!

My favourite Irish "party piece" poem

How can I use the ZPD theory to parent my child?