Achieving success - the fruits of a group effort


I have been reading to arthur waley's wonderful Chinese Poems  this week. I particularly enjoy the following poem as it illustrates the various groups who provide support and thus contribute to a student's achievements: family, friends and the application of the individual. The humble tone of the narrator is a joy.


After Passing the Exam - Po Chui I (800ad)

For
 ten years I never left my books;
I went up… and won unmerited praise.
My high place I do not much prize;
The joy of my parents will first make me proud.
Fellow students, six or seven men,
See me off as I leave the City gate.
My covered couch is ready to drive away;
Flutes and strings blend their parting tune.
Hopes achieved dull the pains of parting;
Fumes of wine shorten the long road…
Shod with wings is the horse of him who rides
On a Spring day the road that leads to home.


Despite having been written over two thousand years so, there is a freshness and a sincerity in this poem which still resonates. Although we no longer have the trauma of the Government Exam, Contemporary students may still recognise themselves in Po Chui I.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"My friend says that the ISEB Pretest pass mark is ... " and other myths!

My favourite Irish "party piece" poem

How can I use the ZPD theory to parent my child?